Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Negative but need 2nd opinion
Jan 14, 2007

Dr. Bob - great site, great information and great work - thank you!

I (he) had unprotected vaginal intercourse with a friend/co-worker of unknown HIV status (she says she is clean/negative and that I'm an idiot for evening asking) 13 weeks ago. Week 5.5 started feeling crappy and experiencing all the Internet symptoms (sore throat, feverish although nothing above 99, etc.). My primary care physician felt it was garden variety virus and possibly prostitis so he put me on Cipro and sent me on my merry way. I've had photophobia since starting the Cipro (only took it a week) and per my opthamologist visit at week 12, I may have / had iritis so he gave me some eye drops and sent me on my merry way.

I've also had acne / folliculitis on my chest on/off starting with week 8 so saw the dermatologist who game some topical and sent me on my merry way (works but comes back every so often).

Being the OCD boy that I am, I've since had NEGATIVE Hiv-1 tests using Uni-golden rapid test at weeks 6,7,8,9,10,11, and 12 along with a NEGATIVE HIV-2 EIA at week 12. I've also had negative STD tests including Hep A,B,C. Per my primary care physician, Planned Parenthood Counselor, and local county HIV counselor here in Texas, I'm HIV negative irrespective of symptoms / issues.

And per professionals like you and CDC, 12 weeks negative means no HIV, 'no way and no how'.

I still feel feverish on/off, still feel like I have swollen lymph nodes on my neck (although my primary care physician says there are no clinical signs), still have slight photophobia, and still get check acne/folliculitis on/off.

I'm struggling to accept my HIV status ironically so:

#1 - Is there a specific medical speciality that can look at the whole picture, e.g., internist, to rule out HIV and provide some direction on source of symptoms?

#2 - Is a 2nd opinion for HIV warranted?

#3 - should I test again? Should I do the PCR DNA test?

I'm seeing mental health professionals but doubt i still there.

Thanks - paypal on the way!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your friend/coworker calls you an "idiot" for asking her about her HIV/STD status, but apparently has no qualms about going commando for mattress mambo???? Hmmm . . . no doubt in my mind who the idiot is here.

You are correct. I agree with all the other opinions you've been collecting. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how! In fact, I would consider your HIV testing to date to be highly obsessive.

Turning now to your specific questions:

1. HIV has already been ruled out many times over. By way of analogy, you can kill a fly with a single flick of a fly swatter or you can squash him to smithereens with multiple forceful blows of a gigantic sledgehammer. Either way, the fly is equally dead. You've ruled out HIV with the sledgehammer.

2. Nope.

3. Nope. Nope.

Your OCD is OOC (out of control). Bring a copy of this post and my response to your next visit to your shrink and show it to him. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. OCD is your problem. WAY! And HOW!

Thanks for your donation! Feel better, OK?

Be well. (You are indeed well, well, well.)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Presence of blood during sex
Next
Follow up [Thank You]: Still Chasing The Queen

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.