Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can I trust my negative hiv test?
Jan 14, 2007

About 1 1/2 years ago, I had an affair during a rocky time in my marriage. My husband and I have been together for 11 years, love each other very much, and have worked through our issues and decided to start a family and I am now 5 months pregnant. After the affair, I had 2negative hiv tests at my primary physicians clinic...the first 9 months after oral sex, 13 months after unprotected intercourse and the 2nd 13 months after oral,17 months after intercourse. My husband also has had a negative hiv test. Before getting intimate, the person I had the affair with had a neg.test and was in a long term relationship, now married.The nurse at my ob/gyn's office has raised my fears and anxiety's about the tests being wrong, even after the person I had the affair with had another neg. one last month, hoping to ease those fears and his wife had a neg. one last year while she was pregnant. This nurse told me even with my 2 negs, my husbands neg, and the other's neg. tests, she would still get tested occasionally over the next couple of years and then if after 10 years, it is still negative, then I can rest on trusting the test. This has put me practically in panic mode because I would NEVER wnat any harm coming to my husband or baby due to my indiscretions and I would have never gone forth with getting pregnant if I couldn't trust my negative results at the time. This nurse has started a constant feeling of fear in me an my husband keeps trying to assure me that we are both ok and he doesn't see the need for further testing. Your expertise in this matter is greatly appreciated. Do I have something to worry about or is that nurse wrong? Thank you for your time.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The OB-GYN nurse told you what???? That your multiple negative HIV tests out to 17 months and the multiple negative tests of your partner are not definitive and that you will need to continue getting tested out to 10 years before you can trust the test!!?!!?!! That nurse should have her ass fired immediately for spreading such nonsense. I urge you to report her to your OB-GYN physician. She is a liability to his/her practice. That she has put you into "panic mode" with blatantly false information is a serious situation. I'd strongly consider leaving your OB-GYN's practice if this is the type of misinformation he/she supports. I would certainly never allow that nurse to do so much as take your temperature or blood pressure ever again. Please feel free to send both Nurse Ratchet and her OB-GYN a copy of this post and my comments. She should be ashamed of herself!

You, my dear, are absolutely and irrefutably HIV negative.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Am i experiencing OI?
Next
CONFUSED

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.