Melanie back with Test Results

My Dear Doc, This is Melanie back with test results. The day I gave the blood at doctors office, the doctor said it is going to be Viral Load Test. When I went to pick up the test results yesterday, it was some other doctor and the description of the test and the results are as follows.

HIV-1 AB W/RFX CONFORMITATION HIV-1 AB, EIA - Non-Reactive. No HIV-1 antibodies detected. A nonreactive test result does not completely exclude the possibility of HIV-1 infection since the time for seroconversion is variable. If clinically indicated, repeat testing in three months is suggested.

I know this above test is not Viral Load test. That new doctor said RFX means viral load confirmation. I belive he is wrong and it is actually WB. 1) Am I right?

2) Doctor said no need of 3 month confirmation. Should I go for 3 month confirmation keeping in mind that this test is just 1 week after encounter with that scary online Vibrator.

I know Ia m yet to fulfill my pledge of another $500 to concertedeffort.org. Iam working on it. (Just these unexpected doctor and lab expenses from this encounter) Will Concertedeffort.org send me any receipt for tax deductions?

You are doing such a great job that I pledge to contribute for years to come as far as and as much as I can.

Hi Melanie,

One has to wonder a bit about that doctor's office! You are absolutely correct: HIV-1 AB, EIA is an enzyme immunoassay to detect antibodies to HIV-1. Your result is negative. There may have been a spelling or typing error in the next part: RFX CONFORMITATION should have read RFX CONFIRMATION. That means if the EIA (similar to an ELISA test) was repeatedly positive, they would automatically run the confirmatory test, which in most labs is a Western Blot (WB). Some labs may use immunofluorescent assays (IFA) for confirmation. These confirmatory tests should only be run to confirm an initial positive HIV-antibody test. The doctor who told you he ordered a viral load test did not. The doctor that told you RFX Confirmation means viral load confirmation is indeed wrong.

As for a follow-up test, it's important to note that HIV-antibody tests performed prior to three months from the potential exposure are not considered to be definitive or conclusive. Consequently, if you feel the need for a definitive, conclusive HIV test, you will need to repeat your HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. The good news so far is that your initial test is negative. My personal opinion remains that your HIV risk is so extremely remote as to be essentially nonexistent, no matter how scary the online vibrator was. But I fully understand your worry and so a three-month test may well be the most efficient and effective means to put your fears permanently to rest. The result of your definitive test will undoubtedly be negative.

Please don't feel obligated to fulfill pledges or make donations to my foundation. Donations, of course, are always warmly appreciated; however, please be aware my work here at The Body is not related to my foundation. The advice and information I provide here is free and available to anyone in need.

Regarding your previous donation, yes, the foundation will be sending you a formal acknowledgment with all the information included for you to use as documentation of your tax-deductible charitable gift. I personally sign all foundation letters and since I've been out of town so much lately, I'm sure the correspondence waiting for my signatures is stacking up on my desk insane Francisco. I'm in Boston at the moment. Also, we'll be sending you a token thank-you gift for your generosity.

Be well, Melanie.

Another Lost Condom
I am a believer!!!