What to expect from a counselor?

Hi Dr. Bob,

Happy New Years! I just had a question about counseling. I am going to see a counselor next week and I was wondering what to expect? I did have an HIV test and tests for some stds 6 months after a low risk exposure which were all negative. WOO HOO!! The reason why I am going to a counselor is because I can't get over the fact that I may have picked up an STD from my one time sexual experience (unprotected blowjob, protected vaginal), does this pose a significant risk for other stds?. Also, I suffer from irritable bowel syndrome which is the other reason i am going. I am scared to tell the counselor exactly what happened in my sex experience. Should I be 100% honest and trust this person?

Thanks for your time

Russ

Hello Russ,

What to expect??? Hmmm . . . you'll go in. He'll have you lie down on a couch, ask you what's wrong and then blame everything on your mother!!!

Russ, be reasonable. He's a counselor. All he's going to do is talk to you about your fears and anxieties. You already realize you have a problem, because you "can't get over the fact that (you) may have picked up an STD . . . ." He'll help you confront irrational fears like that.

Why are you "scared to tell the counselor exactly what happened in (your) sex experience???" How is he going to counsel you if you withhold information? Should you be 100% honest and trust the counselor? Absolutely. Otherwise I'll have to send you for counseling to address your irrational fears and distrust of counselors.

Good luck, Russ.

oral sex with 3 men
FEMALE TO MALE TRANSMISSION POSSIBLE??