Probability of infection

Hi, Dr. Bob, i'm really worried, i tell you, i has vaginal sex with a prostitute that is in fact vih+, i'm use no protection, and i was inside her like 40 minutes, the sex was very intense, i want to know if i'll be infected for sure or what's the chances that i'm infected. I'm very thankful.

Are you "infected for sure?" No. There are many variables that come into play during HIV transmission viral strain, type of exposure, trauma to membranes, concurrent infections, etc. The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from insertive penile-vaginal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 5 per 10,000. Your risk is significant and HIV testing is definitely warranted at the three-month mark. If negative, a repeat test at six months is recommended to assure your negative status, because you had a documented significant HIV exposure.

I strongly urge you to use latex condoms for all penetrative sex.

Should I get tested?
Strong possibility of HIV +?