Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Doc. please answer this Ecstasy question
Jan 10, 2007

Hi Doc, I've been waiting for your answer on this one for a week or so. But haven't heard from you. So I have to ask again. Please, please help. I have a question regarding taking Ecstasy during window period. I took one Ecstasy at a party after 15 days I had an unsafe incident. Tested negative at 9 weeks. But on that test day night, I took another Ecstasy. Then I tested negative at 90 days mark. But lately I read an article: http://www.thebody.com/catie/ecstasy.html that says:

Results: A Single Dose The researchers found that a single dose of ecstasy (100mg) taken by mouth caused a dramatic fall in the level of immune system cells called T cells, which are needed to help fight infections. The number of a specific group of T cells, called CD4+ cells, decreased by about 30% within hours after a single dose of ecstasy. Fortunately, within a day after taking this dose, CD4+ cell levels returned to normal.

Does it mean Ecstasy can delay seroconversion? I heard impaired immune system can delay that. So if a big T cell drop like this means immune system is impaired? Does it mean the immune system is not good enough to generate enough antibody for test during window period?

I'm thinking to have kids soon..should I retest? your expertise is deeply appreciated.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Since ecstasy is an illegal drug, we cannot do clinical trials with it. Consequently, I cannot answer specifically your question. However, based on what we do know or can infer about ecstasy's effect on the immune system, including the transient drop in CD4+ cells, I would not anticipate ecstasy would have any effect on HIV-antibody rest results or the duration of the window period. I would consider your negative 90-day test definitive and conclusive.

Dr. Bob

Previous
13 hours after possible ...
Next
For Everyone Out there +/-

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.