Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Pneumonia, Jaundice, and HIV testing
Jan 10, 2007

Hello Dr. Frascino. The work you do is amazing. I really appreciate that you help lot of people by answering their questions. I have a question. I am 20 year old male. My exposure was unprotected insertive oral (woman performing oral on me). Please read my situation. When I was two weeks old (or 20 Days) I had Pneumonia and recovered from it. I also took medications for next 4 or 5 years because I use to get sick quickly from cold or flu, or sometimes fever. All these medications were on and off, sometimes regular. After 4 or 5 years I didnt take medications because I stopped having cold or flu on regular basis. When I asked my dad he told me that one of the medication was Triaminic, but doesnt remember the other. After that when I was about 12 or 13 years old I had Jaundice and was sick for about 15-20 days, and took medications. I took HIV 1 and 2 antibody test after 5 months from my exposure, and it was negative. My questions: #1 Is it possible that medication given to me during Pneumonia could delay in the production of HIV antibodies? #2 Is it possible that medications during Jaundice could delay in the production of HIV antibodies? #3 Is 6 month test is necessary? If you think these medications can delay in the production of HIV antibodies, please advise what should I do next, or which test should I take. Dr. Frascino Please answer my questions, It will solve a situation I am really concerned about because I am thinking that those medications during Pneumonia or Jaundice could have delayed in the production of HIV antibodies. Please clear this for me, I really request you.

Thanks a lot again. I send my best wishes to you, Dr. Steve, and your family. You provide an invaluable support. I will be sending a donation to your foundation.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Neither your pneumonia as a newborn, use of medications as a youngster, jaundice as a 12- or 13-year-old or any medications taken for these problems would affect the accuracy of your HIV tests, the time it would take for you to produce anti-HIV antibodies or the duration of the window period.

Your five-month negative HIV-1 and HIV-2 antibody tests following unprotected insertive oral sex are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Thank you for your kind comments. Now stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing, OK?

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Brazilian Needs your Help !!!PLease!!!!!!!
Next
Just made a donation

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.