Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Woo-Hoo Cubed
Jan 10, 2007

Dr. Doctor,

Three points and one question:

1.) Thank you so much for this forum; you were a wealth of information, not to mention a source of much-needed comfort.

2.) Please accept my donation (just made!) to your excellent cause.

3.) In late September, some 90+ days ago, my lady friend and I had an uh-oh condom break. She thankfully had tested HIV-negative just two weeks ago. Though I believed in the results, I thought it prudent to get tested myself, which I did on December 26. Yesterday, the happy news came back - Non Responsive, HIV-Negative! Though I was 98% sure, I still had that 2% doubt... but no longer!

Now here is the question:

The health worker stated that while the 90 day testing window is still a good idea, I could have actually submitted for my test some 45 days after exposure. I gather the CDC is now (or will) be updating their HIV testing criteria. Is it now "true" that most people will show detectable anti-bodies within two to eight weeks (25 days being the norm), with 90 days now being the outside window? I ask only because though we both tested negative, we did have sex in late October; in this case, however, there was no known exposure (I.E. non-breaking (!) condom and dental dam was used for oral and vaginal sex), and as such, my case worker believes there is no reason to get re-tested.

Thank you so much again!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

1. Thanks for your thanks!

2. Thanks for your donation!

3. So far the CDC has not revised its guidelines; consequently, the three-month window rule still applies. Yes, it is true that "most people" who are HIV infected will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies within eight weeks; however, "most" is not nearly good enough when dealing with a disease like HIV. Stay tuned to this site. We'll let you know if the formal guidelines do change, OK?

Be well. Stay well. WOO-HOO! on your negative results!

Dr. Bob

Previous
George Cross Medal for DR F Please your Majesty
Next
Brazilian Needs your Help !!!PLease!!!!!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.