Woo-Hoo Cubed

Dr. Doctor,

Three points and one question:

1.) Thank you so much for this forum; you were a wealth of information, not to mention a source of much-needed comfort.

2.) Please accept my donation (just made!) to your excellent cause.

3.) In late September, some 90+ days ago, my lady friend and I had an uh-oh condom break. She thankfully had tested HIV-negative just two weeks ago. Though I believed in the results, I thought it prudent to get tested myself, which I did on December 26. Yesterday, the happy news came back - Non Responsive, HIV-Negative! Though I was 98% sure, I still had that 2% doubt... but no longer!

Now here is the question:

The health worker stated that while the 90 day testing window is still a good idea, I could have actually submitted for my test some 45 days after exposure. I gather the CDC is now (or will) be updating their HIV testing criteria. Is it now "true" that most people will show detectable anti-bodies within two to eight weeks (25 days being the norm), with 90 days now being the outside window? I ask only because though we both tested negative, we did have sex in late October; in this case, however, there was no known exposure (I.E. non-breaking (!) condom and dental dam was used for oral and vaginal sex), and as such, my case worker believes there is no reason to get re-tested.

Thank you so much again!

1. Thanks for your thanks!

2. Thanks for your donation!

3. So far the CDC has not revised its guidelines; consequently, the three-month window rule still applies. Yes, it is true that "most people" who are HIV infected will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies within eight weeks; however, "most" is not nearly good enough when dealing with a disease like HIV. Stay tuned to this site. We'll let you know if the formal guidelines do change, OK?

Be well. Stay well. WOO-HOO! on your negative results!

George Cross Medal for DR F Please your Majesty
Brazilian Needs your Help !!!PLease!!!!!!!