Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

George Cross Medal for DR F Please your Majesty
Jan 10, 2007

Dr Bob,

This is another try for a response but appreciate your limited time. Before I proceed, I would just like to say again what a credit you are to your representing bodies. I have read through numerous responses of yours and done some personal research about you. I truly find you are exceptional personal that without doubt, deserves a medal from the queen. You dedicate all this time to others, Its a pleasure to see that in the world we live in today, there are still some good honest people about that do not just think of themselves.

My situation is as follows, I had brief protected intercourse with a Street Worker [Who I am pretty sure was an IV drug user] followed by a 10 second unprotected BJ with concurrent Hand Job. Two days later I experienced pain when urinating and went to the GUM Clinic, they routine tested me for STI/s excluding HIV. From their initial examination they could see inflammation and diagnosed me with NSU, but precautionary gave me antibiotics for Chlamydia. The results subsequently came back negative and the pain went away at the same time.

My exposure was in August 2006 so I know I could get conclusive results for HIV, however I would appreciate it if you would assess the above risk and answer the following:

1.) From my exposure and the assumption the SW is HIV+, would you recommend testing for HIV? 2.) As I contracted an NSU, does that mean my HIV risk is increased? 3.) DO you think I would of contracted HIV

I really would appreciate if you could address the above. In addition, which I Know has no influence on you answering, I will be sending a donation to your charity. Need some of that good luck Karma or peace of mind. Dont worry; I will be chasing the Queen on your behalf also.

Look after yourself Dr F and happy New Year.

All the Best

John London UK

Response from Dr. Frascino

G'day Johnny Boy,

". . . chasing the Queen???" Hmmm . . . that's certainly a well known game here in San Francisco!!! (More like a fulltime occupation for some folks.)

Regarding your three specific questions:

1. Your HIV risk ("protected" intercourse and 10 seconds of "unprotected BJ and concurrent Hand Job") would be extremely low, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. However, one of the reasons to get HIV tested is concern about possible exposure. Since this is one of several requests for a response, we can certainly presume you are indeed concerned about your potential risk. Consequently, a three-month HIV screening test may well be the most efficient and effective means to put those concerns permanently to rest.

2. No, not necessarily. If you have an active STD, the risk could increase; however, if you contracted this STD at the same time, your risk is not increased.

3. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not. However, the only way to be certainly is to get a three-month test.

Thanks for your donation and very kind comments. Both are warmly appreciated. In return, I'm sending an extra dose of the requested good-luck karma and adding in good-health-and-peace-of-mind karma as well.

Be well! Stay well! Happy New Year.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Oral after anal in steamroom. Donation made
Next
Woo-Hoo Cubed

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.