The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Possible ARS

Jan 9, 2007

Hello Dr. Bob, I have donated to your foundation before and will do so in the near future again. I had sexual intercourse with an escort on New Year's Eve. We had protected oral and the vaginal intercourse was also protected, although I noticed that the condom was loose after we were done. On Jan. 6, I began to experience nausea and vomitting occured soon after. Today (Jan. 8), the nausea and vomitting continues along with a sore throat. I was wondering if it is possible that this is ARS? I have read in the forum that it normally does not occur until 2-4 weeks after exposure. I know that a test at 3 months should calm my fears, but I was wondering if my symptoms point to ARS or not. Thanks and the Dems are starting the takeover, which should make you happy. Happy New Year Dr. Bob!

Response from Dr. Frascino


Your HIV risk is essentially nonexistent, if both the oral and vaginal action was protected.

Your symptoms are very nonspecific and not worrisome for HIV ARS.

Yes, a three-month HIV test would give a definitive result. It will be negative and should put all your unwarranted HIV fears permanently to rest. Thanks for your donation (

Yes, I'm happy the Dems are back! Now if we could just get rid of Dubya and Cheney and this idiotic notion of "surge" (read: escalation!) and get our troops home, it would really be a Happy New Year!

Be well. Stay well. (Yes, you are indeed well.)

Dr. Bob

splash on face
Good ending with HIV

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint