Virgin getting tested

Hello Doctor,

Thank you for all the wonderful work that you are doing. I'm also in the Greater Bay Area (South Bay), and my concern involves getting tested. My friends (naturally, we are all gay, after all, this is SF) get tested regularly. However, they actually have sexual intercourse. If I have never had anal sex (I'm 19) and always take serious precautions when doing anything else, is there a real reason for me to get tested? Your wisdom is greatly appreciated!

-Mike

Hi Mike,

That depends a bit on your definition of "serious precautions when doing anything else." The general guidelines recommend HIV testing and basic STD screening every 6 to 12 months for sexually active gay males. I think that is reasonable, but certainly not a hard and fast rule. There are a considerable number of sexually active gay men who come to the Frascino Medical Group for routine STD/HIV screening and it is not uncommon to pick up an unsuspected case of syphilis or genital warts and, on occasion, yes, even HIV. The Frascino Medical Group is also in the South Bay (Los Altos), so if you need our help for screening, don't hesitate to call (650-917-1357), if we can be of service, OK?

Be well. Stay well. Play safe.

Is it normal to worry THIS much??
Flu shot=false positive?