Is it normal to worry THIS much??
Jan 9, 2007
Dr. Bob, Ok, here's my story. Back in September of 2006, I had unprotected sex with someone about 2 times and I still am friends with him. It was my first time without protection. I had brought up to him if he's been tested and he told me that he had a blood test for a construction job earlier that year and it came back normal.(Would that test for HIV?) I had an HIV test at the end of November and it came back negative, as well as other STDs negative too. Now, I've been reading a lot of different websites that tell me all different information and it makes me worry (not to mention I've always been a paranoid person). Now, I've been experiencing headaches now and then and my eyes seem blurry every once in a while, and I keep making myself believe it may be related to HIV. Its been 4 months now since I had the unprotected sex and I asked my gynocologist if she could send me another prescription for a blood test. Doc, please help me. Is it normal for me to worry this much when I already got a test result?..It was about 2 weeks short of 3 months when I got tested (negative), when I've read many times that at 3 months is when antibodies usually show up. Do my symptoms have anything to do with it?..Please help. I'm worrying myself sick! I need as much of your advice as possible! thanks!
Response from Dr. Frascino
"Is it normal to worry THIS much??" No, I can't say it's normal, but I can say it's unfortunately all too common. Take a read through the archives of this forum and you'll see what I mean.
Your HIV risk is low. Your negative HIV test at 2.5 months is extremely encouraging; however, HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive. Your "symptoms" are not worrisome for or even suggestive of HIV.
My advice is simple:
1. Get a definitive HIV test to put your residual fears permanently to rest.
2. Stop "worrying yourself sick." Consider getting psychological help for your anxiety and history of "always being a paranoid person."
3. Avoid future worry by avoiding future risk. Use latex condoms and follow safer sexual guidelines.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Is Vaginal Discharge A Symptom Of HIV?
- Bloody Nose After Licking Rectum Worried I Have HIV
- Chest Cold After Giving A Bj Worried I Have HIV
- Diarrhea After Insertive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Groin Pain After Insertive Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Penis Discharge After Rubbing Vagina Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.