Is it normal to worry THIS much??

Dr. Bob, Ok, here's my story. Back in September of 2006, I had unprotected sex with someone about 2 times and I still am friends with him. It was my first time without protection. I had brought up to him if he's been tested and he told me that he had a blood test for a construction job earlier that year and it came back normal.(Would that test for HIV?) I had an HIV test at the end of November and it came back negative, as well as other STDs negative too. Now, I've been reading a lot of different websites that tell me all different information and it makes me worry (not to mention I've always been a paranoid person). Now, I've been experiencing headaches now and then and my eyes seem blurry every once in a while, and I keep making myself believe it may be related to HIV. Its been 4 months now since I had the unprotected sex and I asked my gynocologist if she could send me another prescription for a blood test. Doc, please help me. Is it normal for me to worry this much when I already got a test result?..It was about 2 weeks short of 3 months when I got tested (negative), when I've read many times that at 3 months is when antibodies usually show up. Do my symptoms have anything to do with it?..Please help. I'm worrying myself sick! I need as much of your advice as possible! thanks!

"Is it normal to worry THIS much??" No, I can't say it's normal, but I can say it's unfortunately all too common. Take a read through the archives of this forum and you'll see what I mean.

Your HIV risk is low. Your negative HIV test at 2.5 months is extremely encouraging; however, HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive. Your "symptoms" are not worrisome for or even suggestive of HIV.

My advice is simple:

1. Get a definitive HIV test to put your residual fears permanently to rest.

2. Stop "worrying yourself sick." Consider getting psychological help for your anxiety and history of "always being a paranoid person."

3. Avoid future worry by avoiding future risk. Use latex condoms and follow safer sexual guidelines.

A Quick Thank You
Virgin getting tested