Shades of Grey? What's the deal?

Hi Doctor Frascino,

Looking for your opinion. I know a lot of my fellow gay men and for that matter, my hetero sisters are somewhat confused about Oral Sex. I have read from experts (your italian sexy self included!) that oral sex is a small/minimal risk. Then again, other experts say "moderate risk", then others say high risk. What gives? I just wonder why can't the experts come to some agreement on the level of risk for oral sex on a man. I know a few people, who I believe, that have gotten hiv from giving oral sex. It just confuses me. Of course one can use a condom for oral, but it just isn't the same, and not many gay men use them.

Just my thoughts and seeking your opinion.

Keep up the good work!

You already know my opinion. Oral sex carries a very minimal risk for HIV transmission. What more can I say? I base my opinion on my interpretation of the published epidemiological studies performed and 25 years of clinical experience as an HIV physician specialist and board certified clinical immunologist. I don't really see the point in my trying to explain someone else's opinion. There is no doubt the vast majority of HIV specialists and patient-advocacy groups agree with my opinion. There will always be some outliers for whom any degree of risk may be intolerably "high", as the term "high" is subjective in nature. There are also those who interpret scientific data rather selectively to promote their political or religious agenda for instance, the science-phobic Dubya or the sex-phobic Catholic Church. Deciding whom to trust is totally up to you. However, if indeed oral sex was "high risk," don't you think HIV would have wiped out the planet by now? Well . . . except, that is, for the previously mentioned Dubya and sex-phobics neither of whom have probably ever experienced the wonders of a really incredible blowjob.

2nd time asking, please reply ,very worried!
Ans. for HOMER who is busy, I searched all 4 questions, please review and forward to him