A very scared paddy!!!

Hey Bob. Irish lad here, no longer downunder! There is no way you would remember but wrote to you a couple of times over the last 2 years and once or twice from oz. Anyhow, Im back in the shit again, where I keep putting myself with my drinking, and this time I truely believe Im fucked. Around the end of september,on another 1 of my drunken binges, I had unprotected sex with a woman of "unknown" status. She told me she was free of all sti's etc, but then again, who is stupid enough to believe someone they dont know(me!!). I didnt believe for a second that I could have contracted anything serious, until maybe early december(8-10 weeks since encounter), where I got 2 mouth ulcers. Prior to this, I did experience a mild seroconversion-like illness in november(6-8 weeks). Since december, everything has gone tits up. I drank a hell of alot over the xmas, so didnt pay much attention to my symptoms, but my muscles in my legs constantly ache, I get a lot of abdomenal pains, my joints click all over,back pains and scariest of all, I have an ulcer just below my penis head on my foreskin. This would be 14th week since encounter, so I was hoping to get on the day results, which means not going through my local sti clinic(plus im embarrassed cos I have been there so often!) I guess my question is, If I go through my own/family doctor for a HIV test, does that get put on record and affect getting a mortgage on a house down the road?( I heard it does regardless of result) How do I go about doing it privately? Scared shitless Doc but just want to get it over with and know... Thanks for your time Doc, and happy new year

Actually I do remember you. Irish lads in Oz aren't all that common. Unfortunately I don't know the details of HIV reporting in Ireland at the moment. (I haven't traveled there recently and laws change from time to time and by locale.) If you have a question about anonymous versus confidential testing, I suggest you contact your local ASO (AIDS service organization), as they would have the most recent information. (Just Google AIDS Service Organization and your nearest town or city.)

My advice:

1. If you have an ulcer on your tallywhacker, you need to be seen by a doctor for an STD check now. I'm particularly concerned about syphilis, which is much more contagious than HIV.

2. Don't let worries about a mortgage "down the road" affect your health care today! Do what needs to be done.

3. Your drinking has obviously become a significant problem. I suggest you seek help for your alcohol abuse.

4. Once again, review the safer sex recommendations. Perhaps you could have them tattooed on your Mr. Happy so you don't continue to conveniently forget about condoms after a night at the pub.

Good luck. They say "repetition is the mother of learning." Let's hope you've learned your lesson this time. To avoid yet another episode of anxiety and guilt, you must stop the reckless behavior that leads to your unsafe activities.

Oral quick test
Hi doc,please direct me. THANKS