Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV from Sock
Jan 5, 2007

hi, this might sound ridiculous but here goes...I was at a fraternity that was extremely dirty and likely full of people with STDs all over the place for about 8 hours. I didnt take off my shoes. A couple of hours later, I was with my girlfriend and she was giving me a hand job and right before I came, I took my shoe off, and put my sock over myself so my stuff wouldnt go all over the place. My sock was pretty sweaty, and probably touched the outside of my shoe when I took it off...is there any way that my shoe could have had any trace of HIV on it or in it, from anything I stepped on, and the moistness of my sock soaked it up, and when I placed it over myself, transmitted the virus to me? This happened probably two hours after leaving the frat. I left the sock on for quite a while after I came as well. Is there any risk of transmission from this? Very Nervous! Thanks.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

HIV from a sweaty sock???? Please tell me you're kidding.

Dude, if HIV were so easily transmitted, it would have wiped out the entire planet years ago.

Finally, I thought the old phrase, "sock it to me," went out with Goldie Hawn and Laugh-In. (You probably have absolutely no idea what I'm referring to, do you? That's OK. Our 40-something readers may well remember.)

Bottom line: Relax, Max. The only thing you have to worry about is how to get all that sticky spunk out of your Gold Toe crew sock.

To avoid questions that "might sound ridiculous" in the future, I'd suggest you review the information on this site and related links about how HIV is and is not transmitted, OK?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG Answer to me....your are my Brad Pitt
Next
Blood in my mouth. Worried.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.