Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Will person experiencing ARS HAS Detectable Anti bodies in the body (ELISA)? Another question inside which will help everyone in this forum!
Jan 4, 2007

Hi Dr,

just a very simple question because i have been tested at the 4 weeks mark. I read from CDC that average for detection to occur is as early as 4 weeks.

Ok, (1) Will elisa test pick up antibodies when someone is going through ARS (Rash etc)

very important that i feel will help many others (2) what kind of sore throat or fever or RASH is considered ARS. Many other thinks that their condition maybe ARS. However i think ARS will requires a rather severe fever or sore throat to be considered ARS. So What kind of fever (e.g. length of time, above what temperature) would it be considered ARS. What kind of sore throat, would those that cause normal cough and flames be bad enough to be called ars? Rashes that last for a month ?

(3) i have rashes that last for a month from my arms and now all the way to my entire body. Has this got anything to do with ARS. please help me thank you so much.

I will be donating to your foundation, without reservation just like how you help others! Thanks for being so wonderful and being there for us !

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Even if the "average" for detection was as early as four weeks, as you suggest, "average" is certainly a long way from absolute. "Average" would still miss a significant number of people who ultimately will test positive. So, as I've said many times before, HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive or conclusive.

As for ARS symptoms, as I've said many, many, many times before, symptom severity can vary greatly from person to person, from almost imperceptible to severe. "HIV symptoms" are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Bottom line: no matter what type of rash or fever you may have or whether you have symptoms or no symptoms, if you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, you need to get an HIV test at the three-month mark. To try to dissect or second guess the meaning of certain symptoms or lack of symptoms is unhelpful and really just an exercise in self-torment and mental masturbation. (Personally, if I'm going to masturbate, I greatly prefer the other kind!)

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return, I'll send my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month test is negative!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Oral girl (calamari/ARS) can I get a woo-hoo?!!
Next
Terrified & Need Your Good Karma

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.