Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need Help!!
Jan 3, 2007

Dr. Bob,

First let me thank you for the wonderful service you provide. Now on to my real question. I had an unprotected one night stand about 8.5 years ago with a female co-worker. I have since married and have two wonderful children. I went through the same fears that I have read on the board but went ahead with the test cycle. I have previously tested for HIV-1 at 3 months, 6 months, and one year post event and had a DNA PCR that did not detect anything--so I think everything is ok until now. I have now developed oral thrush to which my doctor replied -the only possible cause is HIV--so I tested again now at 8 years post any possible exposure and the test is again negative (wife has also tested several times during this period--negative). My DOC believes the test must be in error because I would not have thrush without HIV. He says all medical tests have limitations of their accuracy (which of course I already knew but everything I have read concerning this test is that it is highly accurate)

Can I put this behind me and trust the tests or what should I do?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You don't "need help!" You need a new doctor! The one you have is a flaming incompetent who should have his/her medical license permanently revoked. Don't hesitate to tell him or her that I said so. Do not go back to see this quack ever again. Have your medical records transferred to a more competent physician immediately.

Your initial HIV tests eight years ago were definitive and conclusive. No additional testing was warranted. That you (and your wife) have now tested again and the results are again negative merely corroborates what we already knew: HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

There are many potential causes for thrush. In fact, the vast majority of cases have absolutely nothing to do with HIV!

I agree medical tests can have "limitations," but the biggest limitation here is your current physician's dangerously limited basic medical knowledge!!!

Dr. Bob

Previous
AIDS
Next
Overcome your Fear - GET TESTED

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.