i can ony say: WOOOOO-HOOOOOOO!!!

Hi doctor!! i just received my results, and im glad to inform you that after one and a half years of worrying, i finally saw the word i was waiting for: NEGATIVE!!! and i just cant express you how happy i feel...

but, i also asked for the vdrl test, and it came out positive (so at least i was not imagining the symptoms as for some periods i just thought i was losing the grip on reality, but now i cant stop thinking of it as if it was some kind of flu compared to what i have been worrying about all this time... i dont mean to offend anyone with this).

Anyway the doubts arise: i just called the labs and they told me they could not possibly scramble the results up, if it says HIV-negative its because it is negative, and that the tests are very reliable (it was not the ELISA test but the HIV 1-2 test), but, are they????

do you think i need to check again??? or can i woohoooo for now and go get treatment for the syph and move on???

Whatever your answer is, my dear Doctor Bob (hope i can call you like that), all this has certainly changed my life, not the external aspects of my life which are now a total mess, but the internal aspects of my life, that is, myself and my view on things, and even it is a mess right now, I know Ill be able to fix everything, I dont have any excuse anymore for not wanting to live everything to the fullest. If it was not for you and this site and the wonderful people that work on it, and a very small group of people here that had no idea of what was going on, and yet, were always there, i dont know where id be. Its been a long, long ride until i finally decided to get tested, and i just cant count how much time i have spent worrying for this (granted, i had legitimate reasons to worry but thats not the point), but instead of taking action and take responsibility for what happened, i learned to be contempt and prefered to be in the limbo of doubt than to know the truth. Its a horrible thing when you start lying about your behaviour, and your mood completely changes, and people begins to wonder why you are so weird and before you know, you tell one more lie and then another, until you finally become completely alienated from the rest of the people, because you think they wont understand or worse, that they will laugh at you; insecurities arised more than ever until it was too much. I began running away from life, from people. Now that i look on it, i was more afraid of what society could do to me (in the form of indiference and ridiculization) than what this terrible decease would. Finally i decided i had enough, so i went and did the longest trip of my life, from my house to the truth (hospital) to get the results, and its something i will never forget because for some reason with each step i felt stronger and stronger and when i finally entered the hospital and grabed the results i was sure i would be able to cope with anything that came inside. Yeah, it took three more days to finally open the envelope and realize in a moment of clarity that everything was fine (except for the vdrl) and that you just cant waste time like that... I was born again and im going to make the best of it

I always believed that helping others for the sake of it and true compassion for fellow human beings, is what truly make us divine creatures, but now im sure. During all this time, a lot of people came to me with non-HIV related problems and I managed to help them, most of them once they were fine didnt even told me they were already fine, but a few of them stayed with me but im just so glad I could help all of them. I dont think i will ever be as strong as you doctor (but believe me, i will try) as I am talking from the perspective of someone who got the negative result, and as I told you my life is now a mess (and although it doesnt always is the case, one of the symptoms of a messy life its a tiny bank account), so I cannot even send money for the foundation right now. But they say that when you have a lot its good to give back, but it counts even more when you have little and still give it until you are left with nothing, so I offer you this: I offer you my life, expressed in the way that I will keep helping others in which every way I can, spread your words that life is short and beautiful to keep wasting it, volunteer for helping others that were not so lucky to get the negative result, and if more people listens, in many years from now in the time we end our visit in this world we will be happy because we changed something for good, that everything was worth it and that we were not afraid anymore. I know I want it that way. I promise you.

(of course when I get some money I sent you donations, you can count on it!!!)

Thank you for everything doctor Robert Frascino.

With my utmost admiration and respect

Saved soul

I haven't changed my opinion since the last time I answered your question! See below!

Happy Holidays.

I finally opened the envelope!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dec 26, 2006

and i just saw a big major WOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! doctor, i cant describe you how i feel... i have the envelope with the results just in front of me and i just managed to open it and says: VIH - negative!!!!! after more than one year and it all has come to this... now the question arises: why i didnt do this earlier??? i dont know, i was just too scared, but i cant grieve on it and just concentrate on the future... But all of this has one dark spot:i also got screened for syphillis and the paper also says VDRL - positive, which would mean i got syphillis. And now i panic again... do the labs messed up the results feeling sorry for me??? how could i have gotten syph but not hiv (i know, the logical answer is: because she only had syph and not hiv)??

what do you think dear doctor??? can i woohoo and just go get some treatment for the syph?? or do i need to get tested again for both syph and hiv?? (i was tested in a nice, reputable local hospital, and i know i say that i got a vdrl positive like if it was some kind of flu, but i cant stop smiling doctor, ill be able to handle it from now on)

i have no words for thanking you...

(short version) I just opened the envelope with my results, and it says hiv-negative!! let me check again... yeap, negative... but i tested positive for syphilis (vdrl)...

I was with this girl almost two years ago and the protection broke. about five or six months later i learned that she tested positive for hiv. Assuming this girl was hiv and syphillis positive, is it possible to get syph but not hiv during the brief exposure??? or could we think of the possibility that she got hiv after our encounter??? also, how likely is it that the place i got tested scrambled the results (its a small but nice and reputable local hospital)???? can i Wooohooo now or should i get more tests????

doctor, you have no idea what you mean to me...

JAWG (just about to woohoo guy)

Dear JAWG (Just Another WOO-HOO Guy),

I combined your long- and short-version questions.

WOOOOO-HOOOOO and Congrats! Now on to your questions. First, the long-version questions:

1. Why didn't you do this earlier? Hmmm . . . good question for which I have no answer!

2. "Do the lab's messed up results feeling sorry for me . . . ." What????? That's a really crummy questions that I can't even decipher.

3. It's quite possible to get syph but not HIV! Syphilis is much, much easier to contract than HIV!

4. Can you WOOO-HOOO and just go get treatment for syphilis? Yep! But do get treated, because untreated syphilis can cause big-time problems.

5. Nope.

Now the short version questions:

1. See long-version question #3.

2. I suppose that's possible.

3. Scrambled results? Nah! These are very different tests!

4. WOOOO-HOOOO? Yep!

5. More tests? Nope!

Happy Holidays, JAWG!

A little bit confused about symptoms
How do you score yourself?