Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 1, 2007

Help me Dr. Bob. I'm paranoic that HIV is ultimately going to get me. I've tried not having sex but then I get so horney I wind up paying a hooker. I always always always use a latex condom and I check it constantly during sex and it has never broken or slipped or anything. Yet I still remained worried. I sit around all day smoking a couple a packs of cigarrets and worry how I'm going to tell people I've got it and what if my insurance doesn't cover all the costs and stuff like that. I think I'm so worried because my partners were all professional sex workers so the risk must be enormous --- right? I'm spending a fortune on home HIV tests. All negative so far but I feel it's only a matter of time. I order them 5 at a time now!

Fretful Fred

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Fretful Fred,

You remind me of Americans crossing the street in London! You keep looking to the left when the real danger and oncoming traffic is coming from the other direction! You've always had latex-protected sex and yet you remain "paranoic" that HIV is going to get you, so you spend a fortune on unnecessary HIV tests and smoke two packs of cigarettes a day worrying. If the latex condom was used properly and did not fail, your HIV risk would be essentially nonexistent. Analogous to the traffic in London, you are looking in the wrong direction for your health risk. I have no doubt smoking two packs of cigarettes a day will kill you. No ifs, ands or buts (well, other than cigarette butts, that is)! I find it amazing that we, as humans, pride ourselves on being the only species that comprehends the concept of risk and yet we have the unexplainable habit of worrying about mere (and often extremely slight) possibilities, while blissfully ignoring very real possibilities. Just look at how many Americans agonize over Avian flu, which to date has killed precisely no one in the U.S. But then we have to be cajoled into getting a flu shot, even though flu kills 36,000 Americans each year! Here's an interesting statistic: the number of Americans who commit suicide is nearly twice the number murdered each year.

Bottom line: pay attention to the dangers that are hiding in plain sight! Stop smoking. Stop wasting money on completely unnecessary tests. Continue to use latex condoms!

Be safe. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Abstinence working in Africa?
Next
RE.Catholic Priest.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.