Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I think you are wrong Doc
Dec 26, 2006

Dr. Bob, I think you are wrong telling some people even though they have tested even a year past the window period that there is no way no how they have hiv. I have had no exposure for almost three years. I have tested out to 30 months negative since exposure in early 2004. I had serious acute symptoms at 6 weeks post exposure and then soon developed ohl and floaters. I just recently started swelling in lower right leg indicating lymphodema. My t cell count dropped to 300 after infection in 2004, 9 months ago it was 706 and I am soon to check it again. I know there are not many who are in this situation but I thionk there are others who like myself have definitive symptoms of hiv like those described and yet test negative. I just think you need to be careful saying no way no how when there is a strong possibility we are really positive in spite of testing. By the way I wish you were always right on this and then I would not be writing and no I was o.k. Unfortunately I know I am not and carry the virus in spite of negative tests at over 2 and one half years. Take Care.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You have tested HIV negative out to 30 months. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. Now, I know you don't like hearing that; however, it's a fact. "Definitive symptoms of HIV" do not equal HIV disease. In fact, symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV positive! A negative HIV test outside the window period trumps symptoms each and every time.

I'm not saying there isn't anything wrong with you. Most likely there is. However, whatever is causing your symptoms, one thing that's now certain is that it's not HIV! Why are you so fixed on that diagnosis when you have irrefutable evidence that you are HIV negative???? Should every person who has a headache conclude they must have terminal brain cancer????

Sorry, my friend, I am not wrong about this. I urge you to follow up with your doctors to find out the true cause of your problem and stop chasing an illness you could not possibly have.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can you Karma me down?
Next
HIV in towel

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.