Safe Sex and HIV

Hello Dr Rob,

I am heterosexual male who had protected sex with sex workers (4 of them) when i was working in Dubai 5 months ago. During the intercourse there was no breakage or slippage of condom.

I had tested myself for HIV-1 and 2 six weeks after the exposure and result was negative.

My questions are: 1. Am i at risk of contracting HIV. 2. is the test conducted sufficient to conclude my HIV status or 3. do i need to get tested and if so when

I am a believer in god and am ashamed of the dreadful act that i performed.

I would also like to know the details of your foundation for which i would like to contribute.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks and regards,

1. If the latex condom was used properly and did not fail, your risk of acquiring HIV would be essentially nonexistent. HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how!

2. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive. Your six-week negative test would therefore be encouraging, but not conclusive.

3. If you feel you've placed yourself at risk for HIV, you'll need an HIV-antibody test at three months or longer after the last potential exposure.

Details and donation information about the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Thanks for you interest in contributing to those in desperate need. In return, I'm sending my good-luck karma that your definitive HIV test remains negative, as I very strongly suspect it will!).

wish you the best
Catholic Priest