The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Getting Tested

Dec 26, 2006

Hi there Dr. Frascino,

I am having alot of anxiety about getting an HIV test and wanted to get your advice.

I am a gay male, and though I haven't had any high risk sex, I did catch non-specific urethitis which was probably gonorrhea from insertive oral sex many months ago.

I have a ton of anxiety over this and know I need an HIV test. However, I am afraid to ask my doctor out of embarrassment (he doesn't know about the STD). I've had two physicals in the last 18 months and neither time did he do an HIV test or ask me about my sexual health. He just did an inspection of my body, asked if I'd been feeling ok, prostate, and blood tests for cholesteral and CBC.

I am very discreet about my sexuality, and my doctor does not know I'm gay. This, along with the fact I don't want an HIV test to show up on my insurance has made me very uncomfortable about getting the test.

Any advice you have would be great. I feel trapped, and the anxiety is turning me into a major hypochondriac. I've always been a very happy person but lately have fallen into depression each and every time I feel like I might have some sort of symptom.

Thank you for this great site.

Response from Dr. Frascino


First off, non-specific urethritis is not gonorrhea by definition.

Next, if you can't be open and honest with your doctor, you need a new doctor. There's a difference between being "discreet about your sexuality" and compromising your health by being so far in the closet that you're hiding behind the polyester Nehru-collared leisure suits and platform shoes!!! No wonder you're depressed! Closets are health hazards!

If you can't (make that won't) come out, at least find a doctor you can be honest with and who can attend to your "discreet" needs! How about a gay physician? Consider Googling GLMA (Gay Lesbian Medical Association) to find a gay or gay-friendly physician in your area.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

hemospermia and HIV
To you Dr Bob and the others

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint