Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hemospermia and HIV
Dec 26, 2006

Hi Doc, Is hemospermia or blood in semen caused by HIV. I had a one-time episode of this while masturbting (repeated). If it is associated with HIV, at what time does it occur after intial infection. I am sorry I cannot make a donation at the moment becuase I am from a developing country but I will surely make efforts in help in awareness and educating others. Thanks, DL

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Hemospermia (hematospermia) can be frightening, but most of the cases are benign and self-limited and require no therapy. Rarely, it can be the result of medical problems, such as urethral stricture, infection of the prostate or a congenital bleeding disorder, but in the majority of cases, no specific cause can be found and the condition resolves on its own within a few weeks. About 17% of guys who have this will experience one episode only (like you) and not have any recurrences. Hopefully you are one of these 17%! However, if the condition recurs or persists beyond a three-week period, you should see a urologist for an evaluation, OK?

Also, take it easy with Mr. Happy! He has to last you a whole lifetime!

Dr. Bob

Previous
help with long term testing
Next
Getting Tested

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.