Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV1 and HIV2 Testing
Dec 26, 2006

After extensive research,professional advise and reading the forums I am still confussed about the testing procedures for hiv1 and hiv2.Obviosly we in the U.S. are still trying to figure out this deadly virus.As quoted by Dr.Feinberg in the opportunistic Infections dated MAR.14 2002 HIV1 and HIV2 she answered that the testing is the same for both 1 and 2.Unlike Dr.Francino who states that specific testing must be done.I would like to know the correct answer or something that resembles as I have tested Approximately 8 times in 12 months at different intervals and all came back negative.Pls.Answer

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

"Obviosly" we in the U.S. are still trying to figure out this deadly virus???" "Obviosly???????" The only thing "obvios" is that you having a hard time believing the irrefutable fact that you are HIV negative! Eight tests in 12 months are excessive. (It's seven more tests than you needed!)

There is no difference of opinion between me and Dr. Feinberg. She most likely was referring to the type of testing. We use the same type of testing (ELISA) for HIV-1 and HIV-2. However, these are different viral strains that require different components within the ELISA test. Some test centers have combined the testing assay into an HIV-1/HIV-2 ELISA test. However, individual HIV-1 and HIV-2 ELISAs are also available. You'll have to check the results of your eight tests to see if you were screened for HIV-1, HIV-2 or both. I have no way of knowing. I also suggest you stop wasting time, energy, blood, money and testing resources. Counseling to help you accept your HIV-negative status would be a better use of your money! "Obviosly!"

Dr. Bob

Previous
Hydrocortisone Fears
Next
RIsk of HIV transmision amsterdam sex worker

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.