The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please Doc I Really Really Need An Answer

Dec 23, 2006

Doctor F,

I know i've asked a similar question before, but please bear with me because i'm really freaking out.

I've had erythematous candidiasis on the roof of my mouth now for 5 months or so. Six negative HIV tests up to 25 weeks but full systemic blood tests to determine the cause of the thrush came back normal! The specialist says we may never know what's causing it...which doesn't help my fragile state of mind at all!

It must be possible that i have hiv because late seroconversion has happened before right?

Should i carry on using protection with my girlfriend?

Please can I have your oppinion, i would be eternally grateful

Response from Dr. Frascino


Six negative HIV tests out to 25 weeks are definitive, conclusive and excessive! HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

To answer your specific questions:

1. You are not a late seroconverter. Period.

2. I always recommend using protection. (The old adage, "better to be safe than sorry," would apply.)

I cannot diagnose the cause of your "erythematous candidiasis" over the Internet. However, I can tell you what's not causing it. It's not HIV!

Your real problem is not the erythematous candidiasis, but rather your "fragile state of mind!" I strongly suggest you get counseling to help that fragile state of mind and to assist you in accepting the truly wonderful news that you are HIV negative!

Be well. Happy Holidays.

Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob, I'm scared

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint