Encounter

Dr. Bob,

I am a bisexual male and last night I had my first experience with anal sex. I was the one receiving. I made sure a condom was used the entire time and I'm almost positive the guy is negative. The sex didn't last very long due to the pain. Problem is, I have huge anxiety over HIV, I can't help but dwell on it and worry that I may have it.

I'm going to get tested at the 3 month mark to put my mind at ease, but until then I'm hoping you can tell me something to calm me down (low chances, etc). Anything, really!!

Hello Bi-Guy,

HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. Consequently, if your latex condom was used properly and did not fail, your HIV risk should be virtually nonexistent.

The best advice I can give you to calm down would be a suggestion for you to read the archives of this forum. Yes, all of them! You should find the testimonials and information there to be both enlightening and reassuring. Also, considering the immensity of the ever-expanding archives, it should take you at least three months to read through all the posts! By then, you'll be ready for your three-month definitive HIV test. The results will no doubt be negative and you'll soon be WOOOO-HOOOOing like a maniac. I would also suggest you seek out some counseling to address your "huge anxiety over HIV." Sex is supposed to be fun, not anxiety provoking!

Happy Holidays.

HIV 1&2 Testing kit question, Please answer, very confused
Dr. Bob, I'm scared