Merry Christmas from Saudi Arabia

Dear Dr. Bob.,

Merry Christmas to you and may a very soon future Christmas we all celebrate a cure for HIV.

I am a very old reader of your forums, since April 3, 2004.

I had a protected brief vaginal encounter for like 2 minutes maybe less with a THAI sex worker. She also gave me oral sex, I was insertive, UNPROTECTED, for like 2 minutes, maybe less.

I did a test at the American Hospital in Dubai, which is JCIA accredited and whose laboratory is CAP accredited. The test was done at 166 days mark, that is 5 months and 16 days: HIV 1/2 Antibody - Methodology : MEIA Result : NON-REACTIVE. I also tested negative for both Hep B/C in a local Saudi Hospital.

I was relaxed and said wohoo...And you yourself told me to wohooo also, my message is still in the archives.

Last February-2006, that is 22 months after the encounter, I started freaking out at the possibility of other STDs like Syphilis and Chlamidya...This fear also got into my already negative HIV and HepB/C tests, and I started convincing myself that I should do more tests just to be super sure...It was amazing how I spent the whole 2005 relaxed and suddenly I started freaking out and doubting my previous tests.

So I went again, to Dubai, same hospital, but this time tested negative for everything :

HIV Ab/Ag = non-reactive.

HepB/C = non-reactive

RPR Syphilis : non-reactive.

Chalmydia Urine Culture = NOT DETECTED.

I was relaxed again.

Suddenly, on October-2006, I started doubting my tests again, I even went far doubting the laboratory ...

What shall I do ? Why should a non-medical professional like me trust this laboratory ?

I used to feel good about the fact that this lab is CAP accredited, now it does not mean anything to me ...

I dont really know what is happening to me ... Is this normal? I had only one and only one sexual expirience in my life and look what it has done to me ...I don't really know how i will get married ...I feel I dont trust anything ...

Why the first test explicitly mentioned both virus strains as HIV 1/2 while the second one I did in same hospital is now different and called : HIV Ag/Ab : Antigen/Antibody ... Why they dont make it clear as HIV 1/2... Is it possible they dropped testing HIV-2? or maybe dropped testing HIV-1 ??

Anyways, Merry Christmas Dr. Bob, God bless you.

Hello Saudi Arabian Guy,

HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. STDs are not your problem. No way. No how. Irrational fears and anxiety are the true problem. Additional testing is not warranted. Nor will it be helpful in resolving your dilemma. You need the help of a psychiatrist to help you understand, confront and hopefully conquer your unwarranted fears. It's the only way you will ultimately be able to accept the truly wonderful news that you are irrefutably STD/HIV negative.

Happy Holidays.

Be well. (You are indeed physically well.)

Can I Woohoo?
are the specilist really right, or the risks are much higher than they say?