Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Merry Christmas from Saudi Arabia
Dec 23, 2006

Dear Dr. Bob.,

Merry Christmas to you and may a very soon future Christmas we all celebrate a cure for HIV.

I am a very old reader of your forums, since April 3, 2004.

I had a protected brief vaginal encounter for like 2 minutes maybe less with a THAI sex worker. She also gave me oral sex, I was insertive, UNPROTECTED, for like 2 minutes, maybe less.

I did a test at the American Hospital in Dubai, which is JCIA accredited and whose laboratory is CAP accredited. The test was done at 166 days mark, that is 5 months and 16 days: HIV 1/2 Antibody - Methodology : MEIA Result : NON-REACTIVE. I also tested negative for both Hep B/C in a local Saudi Hospital.

I was relaxed and said wohoo...And you yourself told me to wohooo also, my message is still in the archives.

Last February-2006, that is 22 months after the encounter, I started freaking out at the possibility of other STDs like Syphilis and Chlamidya...This fear also got into my already negative HIV and HepB/C tests, and I started convincing myself that I should do more tests just to be super sure...It was amazing how I spent the whole 2005 relaxed and suddenly I started freaking out and doubting my previous tests.

So I went again, to Dubai, same hospital, but this time tested negative for everything :

HIV Ab/Ag = non-reactive.

HepB/C = non-reactive

RPR Syphilis : non-reactive.

Chalmydia Urine Culture = NOT DETECTED.

I was relaxed again.

Suddenly, on October-2006, I started doubting my tests again, I even went far doubting the laboratory ...

What shall I do ? Why should a non-medical professional like me trust this laboratory ?

I used to feel good about the fact that this lab is CAP accredited, now it does not mean anything to me ...

I dont really know what is happening to me ... Is this normal? I had only one and only one sexual expirience in my life and look what it has done to me ...I don't really know how i will get married ...I feel I dont trust anything ...

Why the first test explicitly mentioned both virus strains as HIV 1/2 while the second one I did in same hospital is now different and called : HIV Ag/Ab : Antigen/Antibody ... Why they dont make it clear as HIV 1/2... Is it possible they dropped testing HIV-2? or maybe dropped testing HIV-1 ??

Anyways, Merry Christmas Dr. Bob, God bless you.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Saudi Arabian Guy,

HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. STDs are not your problem. No way. No how. Irrational fears and anxiety are the true problem. Additional testing is not warranted. Nor will it be helpful in resolving your dilemma. You need the help of a psychiatrist to help you understand, confront and hopefully conquer your unwarranted fears. It's the only way you will ultimately be able to accept the truly wonderful news that you are irrefutably STD/HIV negative.

Happy Holidays.

Be well. (You are indeed physically well.)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can I Woohoo?
Next
are the specilist really right, or the risks are much higher than they say?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.