Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A3G- NOT another STRIP club- worried well
Dec 23, 2006

Hello Dr, I don't have HIV and I didn't do anything stupid (lately) to worry about. I visit the site regularly in order to be informed and I actually enjoy reading your posts. My question is- what do you think about: (A3G enzyme) http://webboard.aegis.org/WB/default.asp?action=9&read=4169&fid=9&FirstTopic=240&LastTopic=259 Great work. This site is very helpful. I'm sending you (Dr. Steve and all the readers) my good-health/ good-luck karma :-)

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The work on A3G is still very preliminary, but it is indeed promising for ultimately developing a new novel approach to treat HIV.

The enzyme APOBEC3G A3G for short is a powerful protein shield that protects "resting" CD4 cells from being invaded by HIV. However, CD4 cells lose this protection when they become "activated" to fight an infection, which then allows HIV to enter and ultimately destroy the CD4 cells. Recently we've learned that long-term nonprogressors have higher than normal levels of A3G in their white blood cells, which may well be the reason they have been able to stave off progression and prevent immune deterioration. We now have a first glimpse of what the protein structure of A3G looks like and this represents an early step toward the design and development of a new class of drugs that perhaps could afford to all HIVers the same "natural" protection enjoyed by the lucky long-term nonprogressors.

Stay tuned. In between loads of lap dance and stripper questions, we'll keep you up to date on A3G and other promising new therapies as the information evolves.

Happy Holidays.

Dr. Bob

Previous
No longer a terrified Pre-Med!
Next
How can you be so sure?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.