A3G- NOT another STRIP club- worried well

Hello Dr, I don't have HIV and I didn't do anything stupid (lately) to worry about. I visit the site regularly in order to be informed and I actually enjoy reading your posts. My question is- what do you think about: (A3G enzyme) http://webboard.aegis.org/WB/default.asp?action=9&read=4169&fid=9&FirstTopic=240&LastTopic=259 Great work. This site is very helpful. I'm sending you (Dr. Steve and all the readers) my good-health/ good-luck karma :-)

The work on A3G is still very preliminary, but it is indeed promising for ultimately developing a new novel approach to treat HIV.

The enzyme APOBEC3G A3G for short is a powerful protein shield that protects "resting" CD4 cells from being invaded by HIV. However, CD4 cells lose this protection when they become "activated" to fight an infection, which then allows HIV to enter and ultimately destroy the CD4 cells. Recently we've learned that long-term nonprogressors have higher than normal levels of A3G in their white blood cells, which may well be the reason they have been able to stave off progression and prevent immune deterioration. We now have a first glimpse of what the protein structure of A3G looks like and this represents an early step toward the design and development of a new class of drugs that perhaps could afford to all HIVers the same "natural" protection enjoyed by the lucky long-term nonprogressors.

Stay tuned. In between loads of lap dance and stripper questions, we'll keep you up to date on A3G and other promising new therapies as the information evolves.

Happy Holidays.

No longer a terrified Pre-Med!
How can you be so sure?