Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hey Doc rob!!!
Dec 23, 2006

I am trying to get a response to my questions for the past so many days, but not getting successful. I request to you to answers my questions.... U r doing a gr8 job thru ur foundation and i pray got that he gives u immense strength in ur endeavours. I will also contribute to ur foundation.

My History: I had protected sexual intercourse with some sex workers (~4) while i was in Dubai. I do not know the sero status of those sex workers. However during the sexual intercourse there was no cut or slippage of the condom as far as i remember. I got myself tested for HIV-1 & 2 six weeks after the intercourse and it was negative. Since then i have not had any sexual intercourses.

My questions. 1. Am i at risk of contracting HIV. 2. Whether the test conducted is conclusive to say that i am not infected. 3. If not when should i get tested again.

I would once again request u to kindly answer my question as i am in a state o trauma. I am ashamed of myself for having done such a dreadful act.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The reason I have not responded to your many posts is that the answers you seek are readily available to you in the archives. (Have a look!) Consequently, I'll only respond very briefly and refer you to the archives for additional details.

1. Protected sex is "protected" if the latex condom was used appropriately and did not fail. HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how.

2. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be conclusive. Your six-week negative test is encouraging, but not definitive.

3. Three months from the potential exposure.

I see no reason for you to be in a "state o trauma!" I suggest you spend less time resubmitting questions and a bit more time becoming informed about HIV, HIV prevention, safer sexual practices and HIV tests. Being informed beats being irrationally fearful each and every time!

Stay safe and you'll stay well.

Happy Holidays.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Really Worried and in need of good luck karma!
Next
New Jobs?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.