The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Confused and worried about results

Dec 19, 2006

Two Western Blot tests for HIV (4 weeks apart) have come back "uninterpretable due to high nonspecific background." I am a non-drug using, heterosexual male, in a two year monogamous relationship and she has tested negative. I am not receiving any clarification from my doctor. Can you please explain?

Response from Dr. Frascino


Can I explain why you are not receiving clarification from your doctor? Well, either your doctor is not a very good doctor or, perhaps more likely, he, too, doesn't understand what's going on!

Can I explain what's going on with your "uniterpretable" Western Blots? Not specifically without additional information. First of all, are the Western Blot tests being run appropriately, i.e. they are being ordered as confirmatory tests following a repeatedly positive ELISA test? If not, your doctor is ordering the wrong test. If yes, the next question is whether the laboratory is having technical difficulties with their Western Blot test assay. A call to the laboratory might clear that up. Sending a specimen to another lab, perhaps a reference lab, might also resolve the confusion. Finally, contacting an HIV specialist to sort this out, if your doctor can't, would also be an option. One way or the other, you should be able to get a definitive answer on your confirmatory HIV test without too much hassle.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Just now learning about HIV, but is it too late?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint