Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

steamed sauna (repost)
Dec 15, 2006

Dear Dr. Bob,

It is probably not a good idea to bother you with the same post. But after several days of not getting the reply, my anxiety again reached a new high level that I cannot resist.

I had some stupid mutual masturbation experiences during a visit to a steamed sauna out of curiosity a couple of weeks ago. I am also sucked and shallowly fingered. Those all sound like low risk activities for HIV, but I can't help wondering if things could go wrong. In addition, I do not know my risk for getting other STDs, nor do I know the "window" period that I should go for testing other STDs. Now every change in my body makes me extra nervous. An acne showing up on my groin this morning almost drove me crazy. I really wish that I had read your forum before I made the decision to go to the sauna -- it was my first time and if I knew that this would be a (at least) 3 month nightmare I would not go.

Anyway, I would appreciate your comments on my risk of HIV and other STD. Thank you for what you have done for all of us, and at this moment my donation is the only thing I could do in return.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Relax, Max! Your HIV risk is so low as to be negligible.

Regarding STDs, if you aren't having any symptoms suggestive of STDS several weeks after your steamy adventure, chances are you are fine. If you are worried, your doctor or health clinic can run an STD screen. For HIV, you'll have to wait until the three-month mark for a definitive test. However, with such a minimal risk, I see no cause for concern, let alone nightmares.

Thank you for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return, I'll send my good-luck karma that your three-month conclusive test is conclusively negative. I'm quite confident it will be!

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
donation follows answer!
Next
after two years of living in fear

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.