For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Mixed Status Couple - Broken Condom

I'm HIV positive and my husband is not. We have been together for 9 years now and fortunately broken condoms are not common. But yesterday we had sex and it broke, now, we know the risk is very low for him (i'm undetectetable, etc) but he has a little irritation apparently from the condom itself and has what looks like a very tiny red pimple. Is there a risk, should he get profilactics. And if so, could he use my treatment for say 2 weeks or do we need to call my doc. (i'm taking truvada, norvir and reyataz).

Thanks very much for this site I've been using it since 98 and its been a great resource in life. I specially love your answers.

Z. from Miami

Hi Miami Z,

A condom failure does place your hubby at some degree of risk for HIV, even though your viral load is undetectable. (This would lower, but not completely negate, the risk.)

I can't really evaluate the PPP (penis pimple problem) without examining it. Most HIV experts would offer a course of PEP to your husband if the exposure was within 72 hours. A full course of PEP is 28 days. Chances are your HIV specialist would be willing to prescribe the medication, follow your husband during his PEP treatment and arrange for post-PEP follow-up HIV testing.

Good luck to you both.

Hi there from New Zealand.
handjob with possible sore on penis. Please help