Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thanks for all you do
Dec 15, 2006

Dear Dr. Bob,

I am writing this email to you in much less distress than I was after my unsafe incident occurred thanks to your advice to others. Thank you for all of the help that you have given to all of us. I gave unprotected oral sex to a guy who I consider to be a unknown, possibly very high HIV risk. He did not come in my mouth and he did not go down on me. I did taste some precum and wiped some of it off my tongue with my hand. I continued for only a few minutes. I am so scared that I may have HIV. I have a finacee who I love very much and I told her about it last night. She has supported this bisexual side of me but was upset that it was with a person who I did not know. I am being tested for STD's tomorrow. The incident occurred five days ago.

Question #1 The World Health Organization states on their website that PEP can be given to health care workers who have been exposed even a couple of weeks after exposure (way past the 72 hour window) Would PEP treatment reduce my risk at this point?

Question #2 I am confused about the options available for early testing. Can I be tested immediately with any conclusive results by any methods?

Thanks so much for your time. I will definitely be sending you a donation when my finances improve.

Much love and good karma,

Illinois boy

PEP Early testing

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Bi-Guy,

1. PEP would not be warranted in your situation.

2. Nope. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive or conclusive. However, I should point out your HIV risk is extremely low. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from your recent boys' night "out."

Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org), Illinois Bi-Boy. In return, I'm sending you my best good-luck/good-health karma that your definitive three-month HIV test will be negative, as I very strongly believe it will indeed be!

Happy Holidays.

Dr. Bob

Previous
AIDS Virus?
Next
che-da-de-chin-ea-ea,It's domnic the donkey....

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.