Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ok 4th time is a charm....?
Dec 14, 2006

Can you please expand on the window for ARS. I had an encounter, twice in one night, both protected with latex condom but unproteced female to male oral sex. The first time vaginal was performed I finished but remained inserted for a bit. Didn't seem to have any leakage or breakage and hardness was maintained. I know this seems low risk but about 4 1/2 weeks post I came down with an extreme temp and hurt and ached and it seemed very much what I read about ARS. The doc did blood work but for flu I believe. She said everything seemed normal. Would any blood counts had shown abnormalities if hiv were the culprit? Also, all replies state ARS is within the 4 week window. Is that difinitive, is 4 1/2 out side the window absolute or is it different for different people? I'm about at the 2 month mark, can a 6 week test help or should I wait till the 3 month? I've read the 6 week is 95% accurate, could help alleviate my nerves and worrying. I need a woohoo. Can you please ellaborate. I'm making a donation to the conertedeffort cause I've read about on here from posters.. Thanks Dr. Bob.

Signed, will keep posting for an answer..

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

"4th time is a charm . . .???" Hmmm . . . that just doesn't sound quite right!

The answers to all your questions are in the archives. Have a look! Consequently, I'll only respond briefly. Besides, "5th time is a charm" would sound even weirder!

Your HIV risk is minimal at best. Protected sex is indeed protected if the latex condom is used properly and doesn't fail. Unprotected insertive oral sex carries an extremely minimal risk for HIV transmission.

Your symptoms are not worrisome for ARS. There are many medical conditions that can cause "extreme temp and hurt . . . ."

Regarding lab work, you can not infer or diagnose HIV from routine lab tests. It requires a very specific HIV test.

As for ARS symptoms, there are no absolute rules on timing! Most people experience ARS symptoms 10-14 days after exposure, but there is no "cutoff" as your question implies.

Finally, HIV testing. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive or conclusive. Consequently, I don't recommend them. Who needs more uncertainty in their lives? I'd suggest you wait for the full three-month window period and then get a definitive test.

Thank you for your tax-deductible gift to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'll send my best good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative and conclusively WOO-HOOable, OK?

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
RE: this is Johnny Boy again, not a question just a thank you and an appology.
Next
Update from Tonsils and Oral Sex (Cunnilingus)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.