Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

DR. BOB IS THE GREATEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 14, 2006

Dr. Bob,

I just wanted to say that I truly admire the work you do. If you choose to answer my question it will be greatly appreciated. I've tried to search the archives but I get conflicting information.

My potential risk was very,very, deep french kissing with a person of unknown risk for 10-15 min. There was no blood (I don't think, I didn't taste any?) Anyways, I tested twice, once @ 9 weeks and once @ 12 weeks (84 days)both with the home access test.

My question is:

1. How accurate are the Home Access HIV-1 tests?

2. Was I even at risk?

3. CAN I, as you so call it...WOOOOOO-HOOOOOOO THIS???????

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hopefully respond. I would even more appreciate a little of your humor! It's truly amazing to see people with your patience & strength! Thanks again!

anet

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Anet,

Conflicting information? What conflicting information? Your case is very clear cut and there are multiple references in the archives addressing each of your questions! So I'll be brief and let you recheck the archives for additional details if you so desire, OK?

1. Home Access tests are extremely accurate. They use a double EIA (enzyme immunoassay) technique with a confirmatory IFA (immunofluorescent assay). Sensitivity and specificity approach 100%.

2. Nope! In my opinion, "a kiss is just a kiss, as time goes by . . . ," unless there were bizarre extenuating circumstances (e.g. you were kissing Dracula or Draculina).

3. Absofrickinlutely!

Now I have a request for you: Tell me about this "very, very deep French kissing" technique! Just how big and talented is that frog tongue of yours?

Be well. Happy Holidays, Kermit.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Happy Holidays, Happy Testing
Next
RE: this is Johnny Boy again, not a question just a thank you and an appology.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.