The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hiv 2 and meds (HIV-2)

Dec 13, 2006

hello Dr Franscino,i have hiv 2 how will i know my viral loads and when is the best time to start the meds? do you have any information on how to manage hiv 2?

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello, You will need the help of an experienced HIV specialist to help you with those decisions.

Here's what we know about HIV-2. Compared to HIV-1, HIV-2 is less transmissible (five- to eight-fold less efficient than HIV-1 in early-stage disease and it is rarely the cause of vertical transmission). HIV-2 infection is associated with lower viral loads and a slower rate of both CD4 cell decline and clinical progression. Nevertheless, mortality rates for HIV-1 and HIV-2 infections are similar when adjusted for viral load. Some patients may be coinfected with both HIV-1 and HIV-2. There are currently no treatment guidelines for HIV-2; however, most HIV specialists suggest the same clinical, viral load and CD4 count criteria used for HIV-1 be used for HIV-2 as well. HIV-2 is not susceptible to non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIs), like Sustiva and Viramune. HIV-2 may also have multiple protease inhibitor-associated resistance mutations. There are no commercially available viral load assays or resistance profiles for HIV-2, although these tests can be performed by some specialty laboratories. Your HIV specialist will need to arrange for this for you.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

hiv tb connection
Syph (again), RASH & Kidney stones

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint