Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Very concerned!!
Dec 12, 2006

Dear Dr Rob,

I am absolutely freaking out here... about half an hour ago, I had a sexual experience with this guy at a beat, he was rimming me and asked if I had a condom , I said no, but told him I was HIV negative. He also performed oral sex on me. He was a Top and was going to perform anal sex, there was no penetration, and he said, no, I can't. We continued and I put my two fingers in his butt, I then inserted my penis into my butt for about 15 seconds. I didn't cum inside of him.....and there was no sign of blood.He then turned around and said I am Positive..... I absolutely freaked out and ran.... now I have to wait for 3 months to see if I am Positive.....Help me Dr Rob....what are the risks that I am HIV Positive. :(

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

The estimated per-act risk for acquisition of HIV from unprotected insertive anal sex with an HIV-positive partner is 6.5 per 10,000 exposures. This is an indiscretion that should not have happened. You clearly understood the risks, your partner asked about a condom and he refused to have unprotected penetrative sex with you. Despite this, you still chose to top him. You should not have freaked out when he told you he was positive. In fact, you really shouldn't have even been surprised. All the red flags and warning signs were clearly on display. If, when you read this, you are still within the first 72 hours of the incident, you could get PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) to help reduce the chances of HIV transmission. The sooner the better! If, however, more than 72 hours has elapsed since your lapse in judgment, you have no other choice but to wait for your three-month HIV test. This is a difficult and anxiety-ridden way to learn a valuable lesson. I doubt you'll ever make such a mistake again. I'm hopeful those reading this post will learn from your predicament and realize that the inconvenience of a thin piece of latex is a small price to pay to avoid a dilemma like yours.

I do wish you well and hope your HIV test remains negative.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Primo infection et prise de risque
Next
A THANK YOU

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.