Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Help Needed - Happy to Donate
Dec 10, 2006

Dr. Bob,

Thank you for your work! It is a pleasure to forward a donation to your organization within a few days!

I would like to start with a question that I have not seen answered in the forum archives: Can one assume that at 4 - 5 months after a possible exposure that either antibodies have to be present OR a viral load must be present (high enough for detection by sensitive PCR RNA)?

Here is my case: I had a possible exposure in Asia where CRF01_AE is the common subtype. Within a few days I started having several night sweats every night (damp pillow) and these continue to today. A week after the incident many weird symptoms began such as rapid heart beat, chest pain, lump in throat. I was concerned and at 128 days had Labcorp do HIV-1 ab test that was negative. I thought perhaps my problems were due to anxiety and after a negative test the symptoms would go away. However I developed additional symptoms which included burning mouth, blocked mucous ducts in mouth (per dentist), inflamed tongue, painful and hard lymph nodes, sore neck. All symptoms continued and at month 5 decided to have an HIV-1 PCR RNA test to try and settle the issue once and for all. Low range was 50 copies/ml and result was non-detected.

Some other questions please: Considering the exposure was probably to CRF01_AE subtype can there be a problem with PCR RNA or a/b testing? Can I be 100% assured the lab results are final and I am negative?

Thanks again!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

First off, symptoms "within a few days" of "possible exposure" would not be due to HIV (CRFOI_AE or any other type!)!

Next, all you needed was an HIV-antibody test three months or more after your Asia fling for a definitive result.

Regarding HIV-1 PCR DNA, these tests are not recommended for routine HIV screening, due to the rate of false-positives, other technical considerations and cost. Therefore, I cannot comment on your initial question, because the test is not used for that purpose (routine screening). What I can tell you is that HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

I can also tell you your original impression "I thought perhaps my problems were due to anxiety . . ." were right on target! That ". . . after a negative test the symptoms would go away" is excellent proof of that!

Thanks for your donation. Now stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing!

Dr. Bob

Previous
Risk of Getting HIV from HIV- Partner (SUPERINFECTION)
Next
HIV does not cause AIDS??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.