Long time worrier (think 2003), first time poster

Dr. Bob,

Thank you for your time. This site truly is a unique resource (I wish I had known about it in high school, as it is way better than the STD information I received).

I tested negative for HIV in December 2003, after my doctor told me I had shingles flair up. I went home did a search on the internet and saw that shingles is a warning sign for HIV, so I went to my university health center and got tested (do not know the type of the test). It was negative; this was a year after some moderately risky encounters (3 oral sex exposures on a woman over a several week period + the risk may have been a little higher because of a pretty deep cut in my mouth from a bad fall the week before the sex started). I was really scared then and did not put it fully out of my mind until I had a second HIV-1 test that was negative a couple months later.

Now it is December 2006 and I am worried again. I had another shingles type rash on my arm in October and I told myself I had nothing to worry about because my HIV tests were negative. I was able to keep calm for a while, but soon I started looking up my symptoms on the internet and now I am worried again. Sites like the link posted below really scare me:

http://www.health24.com/medical/Condition_centres/777-792-814-1756,22216.asp

My symptoms:

- Singles like rash in October 2006 (I know a symptom that never dies) - Small persistent skin rash on leg November 2006 (slowly going away with eczema cream) - Toenail fungus infections spreading to uninfected toes (one of the symptoms from the linked website) - Visibly swollen glands under my chin (again another symptom that never dies)

I am going to the doctor and I could not get an appointment until the middle of the month. Do I need to ask about another HIV test?

Cheers,

M.

Hello M,

Your repeatedly negative HIV tests are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

A negative HIV test trumps any and all symptoms each and every time.

Your problem is one of irrational HIV fears and anxiety. You should ask your doctor about a referral to a therapist to help you confront and conquer these unwarranted fears and worries. Why continue to be a "long time worrier" when you have absolutely nothing to worry about?

HAHAHA
Yet another asshole to bother you.