The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need Advice Badly

Dec 5, 2006

Hi, I wrote to you about my child having the inconclusive test result. I had to take her to the doctor today and we saw another doctor that works in her office, and so I was asking him what kind of test was ran on my child. He saw they ran a western blot first. And she had a abnormal result for p18. As i said she was tested seven days later and she tested negative and they even did the western blot again and the p18 was non reactive this time. Can you tell me what to make of this? Does she need yet another test, was she seroconverting, or was something throwing off the test. The only exposure she could have possbily had would have been blood contact on her hands or sharing drinks. Or kissing relatives. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Your daughter is HIV negative. Her indeterminate Western Blot test (p18) was falsely reactive. Western Blot testing should always be coupled with ELISA screening due to a 2% rate of false-positives. The physician who ran the Western Blot as a sole HIV-screening test did so en error and should be advised of his mistake and the resultant worry and distress it caused you and your family.

Finally, I must point out that "sharing drinks or kissing relatives" is not a risk for HIV transmission. No way. No how.

Dr. Bob

An embarrassing sex injury
dudes...i dont know how risky is...

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint