BJ, ARS, and Shingles

Dr. B,

Thanks for the solid work that you do here for all of us. It is great to have such an AWSOME resource accessible.

Now that I've got you buttered up, here is my Situation:

I am a married guy who decided to have some fun with another guy I met at a bar. He gave me an unprotected BJ. I thought receptive oral was not a risk. Now I am reading that it is a low/theortical risk. (CDC helpline has me freaked out by saying it was a proven risk)

The incident occurred 1 month ago. Today, I was diagnosed with Shingles on my thigh, which is odd for my age (33).

My questions are: 1. Is shingles a concern as a symptom, from what I read, it is a condition that is concerning later in time, not during the ARS period?

2. Do you recommend testing based on this one-time oral encounter.

3. Do you think it is safe to have sex with my wife, or should I continue to have a headache?

Thank you for your help, an anonymous donation will be on its way.

Muchos Gracias Amigo.

1. Regarding HIV and shingles, see below. This is a QTND (Question That Never Dies) with an ATNC (Answer That Never Changes).

2. Insertive oral sex carries a negligible risk for HIV. The odds of your contracting HIV from this one-time encounter are so remote as to be essentially nonexistent. The testing option is always open to you, if you remain concerned. Wait until the three-month mark for a definitive result.

3. I would suggest you level with your wife. It's the best way to confront your fears and guilt. Plus it's the right thing to do. Then you can decide together whether to resume unprotected sex or use a latex condom until your three-month test gives you a definitive "all clear."

Stay safe and you'll stay well. Don't let the CDC freak you out!

Shingles Oct 11, 2006

Doc,Im 42 Year old male,and have just be told,i have a mild outbreak of shingles.I have been tested for hiv(negative)two years ago.I have protected sex (intercourse)but unprotected for oral with female,i see on most internet sites,that shingles is a sign of hiv.Doc do you think i may hiv? regards mick uk

Hello Mick UK,

Another QTND (Question That Never Dies)! See below, Mick. Relax! It is extremely unlikely that a mild case of shingles in a 42-year-old guy whose only HIV risk is "protected sex" and "unprotected oral" would be related to HIV disease. If you're worried, a repeat rapid HIV test will give you a definitive answer in just 20 minutes!

Good luck. Stay safe. Stay well.

Shingles Sep 21, 2006

Hi Dr Bob,

Well after a week and a half of a wierd looking rash around the left side of my waste and a portion of my thigh, my wife talked me into going to the doctor. He immediately diagnosed it as shingles. After searching for hours on the 'net and educating myself about shingles I have noticed a correlation between shingles and initial signs of HIV, especially young adults (I am 28). I have not had unprotected sex in 6 years (other than my wife) and even before that can't remember any 1 night stands of unprotected sex. I'm fairly certain my wife has not had any affairs. I guess my question is this; what is the likelihood of this shingles outbreak being an initial sign of HIV / AIDS? I have had no other health issues other than this latest outbreak of shingles. How many individuals actually find out they are HIV positive by a shingles outbreak as the only symptom?

Thank You, This site has been great so far.

"This site has been great so far?????" Hmmm . . . gosh, what else do we have to do to gain your unqualified approval? Make you a cappuccino? I would imagine in the great coffeehouse of life yours would have to be a venti one-Splenda-in-the-bottom, double-blended, half-caf, half-decaf, double-shot mocha chocolate latte, no whip, right?

Dude, if you've had no potential HIV exposures, you don't have to worry about HIV. As it turns out, the vast majority of cases of shingles even in young adults has absolutely nothing to do with HIV.

If you're worried, get an HIV rapid test. You'll have your definitive result in just 20 minutes. It will be negative. How do I know? Well, I got your coffee order right, didn't I?

Stay well.

Another one for the Worried Wells
zidovudine, didanosine, kaletra