The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Extreme Fatigue, cannot tolerate cold weather

Dec 2, 2006

I was feeling extremely weak recently and also had a bout of fever with chills. Few weeks(3 weeks) back I had encounter with a sex worker and the condom broke outside. I think my penis came in contact with the outside vaginal fluids(the condom broke). So I asked my physician to perform a HIV PCR test. The result came positive with 400 count per ml. I am really worried, the doctor says it could be a false positive. Is 400 count per ml a definitive count for me to be HIV positive? Please let me know, I am really really worried. - Thanks Roby.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Roby,

You are yet another example of why I do not recommend PCR testing for routine HIV screening! As you can see, the result did not calm your nerves or give you a definitive result. If anything, all it did was increase your anxiety levels.

I would tend to agree with your doctor that your result of 400 is most likely a false-positive test. I suggest you wait until the three-month mark and then take a definitive HIV-antibody test. If it is negative, as I strongly suspect it will indeed be, then you can rest assured your three-week PCR was indeed a false-positive test.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Give It To Me Straight..I Am So Scared
No question but inspiring please post this

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint