Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Renewed Fears. Volume 2
Nov 30, 2006

Thank you for your response regarding my renewed fears and symptoms that have popped up since the birth of my son 6 weeks ago. I noticed that the important fact I left out of that question is that the person I had prolonged unprotected exposure to from 1993-98 was HIV positive. The test I took in July was the Oraquick. I was sick with a chronic cough the last 4 mos. of my pregnancy. I have been sick most of the time since giving birth. I now have a sore throat, fever, swollen lymph nodes, etc. I have also had "geographic tongue" for months now.

Do you really, really think my symptoms are not related to HIV and I don't need to worry about it anymore. I lie in bed at night worrying about what would happen to my child, my boyfriend and myself "if" the test was a "false negative".

Have you EVER seen a false negative Oraquick test after the window period? It has been 8 years since my exposure to the infected individual.

Thank you for putting up with my questions. I really need your help.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Here we go again! One last time! Yes, I "really, really think (your) symptoms are not related to HIV and (you) don't need to worry about it anymore"!!!!!!

No, I have not seen a false-negative OraQuick test after the window period.

Even though I'm extremely confident that HIV is not your problem (No way. No how!), if you're that freaked out about your eight-year-old nookie nights, why not just get retested? You'll have a definitive result in 20 minutes! It will undoubtedly be negative and then you'll be able to stop sending in these repetitive questions over and over again and I won't wear out my fingers retyping the same responses over and over again, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
rapid test from Trinity Biotech accurate??
Next
You are my hero

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.