hiv viral load in semen versus blod

Hi Dr. Bob,

Please settle a dicussion I've been having on an hiv information site to which I subscribech higher is the viral load in semen versus blood ? I read a study a while ago stating it could be hundreds of times higher in semen, but I can't find the article in the stack of printouts on my desk. Can you settle this question ? Thanks, btw I enjoy your strange but true columns. Bertbear

Hello Bertbear,

Recent studies show that HIV viral load in blood plasma and ejaculate are generally well correlated. True, there have been some studies that have found detectable viral loads in seminal fluids, despite undetectable plasma viral loads. These may be the studies you were referring to. These reports garnered some attention awhile ago, because they help reinforce the notion that despite an undetectable viral load an HIV-positive person is still infectious and must adhere to safer sex precautions.

Stay well, Bertbear

neti pots and infection. please answer!
rapid test from Trinity Biotech accurate??