Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hoping 3rd Time is the Charm, please help
Nov 30, 2006

Dear Dr. Bob.

Thanks for all your help with this great site, and if you can point to where I can make a Contribution I certainly will make one.

I have written several times with a problem and numerous questions about it, and am hoping this time I will get a response. I will surely appreciate it.

About 5 weeks ago I had unprotected oral receptive sex with a man. He did not ejaculate in my mouth, and I could not see any precum. However he did cum very close to me and my skin came in contact with some of his sperm. Since I didn't have any cuts and I didn't see any fluids while peforming oral sex on him I didn't think much of it.

Three and a half days later I developed a severe outbreak of herpes on my neck (my neck and torso came in contact with his sperm). I have had herpes outbreaks on this area of my body before, but not for several years now, and outbreak was very big (unusual for me) and came with swollen glands, fever, muscle pain, etc. This lasted for about 1 day and the herpes was treated like I always do, and went away within three days.

I felt alright for the next few weeks, but about once a week I felt feverish and with muscle pains for about a day.

My questions are:

1) The outbreak and symptoms seem too soon to be ARS. I know there are no definites, but it does seem too soon right?

2) If it wasn't full blown ARS, could it be that an HIV infection took hold, weakened my inmune system and allow the large herpes outbreak that hadn't happened in a while 'cause my inmune system kept it at bay?

3) Is there ANY possibility that what I got was a Re-infection with herpes???

I know I need to get tested for sure, but i still have to wait at least two more months, and knowing a bit more about this issues could help, specially knowing if an early ARS, or an weakened inmunse system could lead to the strong herpes outbreak, otherwise I'm thinking I'm totally dead.

Thanks in advance, and sorry about the long post.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

1. I agree! Your herpes outbreak is not related to HIV ARS.

2. Nope! Neither HIV nor the immune system work that way.

3. Nope.

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the Foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Good luck with your three-month HIV test. Your HIV risk is indeed extremely low.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Just donated money at concertedeffort.org. Going for HIV Testing
Next
NIGHTMARE TO END!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.