MD exposed resubmitted from fatigue and anemia forum

Dear Dr F. : HAPPY THANKS GIVING On September this year, you gave me the go ahead for my whoo hoo party, after 26 weeks negative HomeAccess Elisa ( I called and confirmed that indeed the Elisa had been negative). However I do not feel well. I have daily increase in my body temp (around 99 even 100) associated of course with the expected tachycardia. I have burning during micturition and taken all the possible treatment for UTI. Now I did another Home access test at 30 weeks post exposure giving the symptoms and was again Elisa Neg. No further exposure after my puncture with a contaminated scalpel on March 21st occurred. I did take 4 weeks of Combivir and Viriad for prophylaxis. So in your experience, is it possible that I will be a late seronconversion? How about HIV-2? The patient was American, however who knows what wells he has drank from. Is it true that the Elisa has cross reaction with the HIV-2 or should I test myself for HIV-2??

Welcome back to the forum. (Glad you found the correct forum in which to post your question.)

Late seroconversion is an extremely rare phenomenon. So rare that it gets written up in journal articles. Do I think you are a late seroconverter? No! No way. No how.

HIV-2 is also quite rare in the U.S. You can read all about it in the archives. Many currently available ELISA tests do check for both HIV-1 and HIV-2. I have no way of knowing what type of assay you had performed. A quick call to your lab can provide you with that information. If you were not screened for HIV-2, I personally do not believe it is necessary to do so. However, if you want an HIV-2 test, they are readily available. The result will undoubtedly be negative.

I can't diagnose the cause of your symptoms over the Internet. But I can try once again to reassure you as to what's not causing them. It's not HIV! If you are not feeling well, you should be evaluated by another physician. Hopefully you are wise enough not to try to diagnose and treat yourself. I remember the sage advice of a very old professor in medical school who once told me: "Any doctor who tries to diagnose and treat himself has a fool for a patient and an idiot for a physician." I think it's very wise advice indeed!

My advice is to stop worrying about and chasing after a disease you do not have!

blood in nail
3rd attempt, sure I am unlucky and positive from oral sex