fingering with extenuating circumstances

Hi Dr Bob

I have patiently waited for 2 weeks as you suggest before resubmitting questions. in this time, i have silently enjoyed your responses to the Crisis magazine article and some others of the same nature. please carry on in the same vein.

now to my question. you have said before that fingering is not a risk unless there are extenuating circumstances. now, i am not sure if some biting of the hangnails and skin around the fingertip and the resultant chaffing and soreness is extenuating circumstance or not.

will be grateful to receive your thoughts.

jambo

Hi Jambo,

Wow, someone who actually followed my suggestions regarding resubmitting their questions!?!?! You, my dear friend, are a rare bird indeed! And you liked my comments about the Crisis magazine crap, too!?! Your restraint in resubmitting and your excellent taste in twisted humor will now be rewarded with the response you requested! So on to your question hangnails and bitten fingertips!?! Hmmm . . . maybe now I remember why I didn't answer this the first time around! Oh well . . . it's difficult for me to give you a definitive answer without being able to examine your nibbled digits. Certainly just some nervous nipping at hangnails and mild chafing would not be considered an extenuating circumstance. However, if you stuck your hands in a tank chock full of hungry piranhas and your fingers were chewed halfway to the knuckle with active bleeding, well, then I would be concerned.

Jambo, the bottom line is always the same: if you feel you placed yourself at risk for HIV, get a single HIV rapid test at the three-month mark for a definitive and conclusive result. I'd say your HIV risk is next to nil, but then again, I don't munch on my fingers either.

Good luck!

good luck karma
3rd time asking...ppplease advise!