The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV and masturbation

Nov 28, 2006

Dear Dr. Bob,

After masturbrating and ejaculating, I couldn't help from wondering if HIV virus from my surroundings could enter my system throught the semen I had just ejaculated. In health class we learned that HIV can be found anywhere, but can only survive for a matter of seconds without being exposed to bodily fluids. Is this correct? Thank you.


Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey JLE,

You learned HIV can be "found anywhere" in health class???? Oh my . . . who taught the class, Sister Mary Mc-If-You-Have-Sex-Your-Dick-Will-Fall-Off?

Listen up, JLE, you cannot contract HIV by burping the nephew. No way. No how. Also, HIV is not everywhere. It's a virus that lives inside infected humans, like me, for instance! It can be transmitted to another human being only by very specific means:

1. Blood transfusion with infected blood.

2. Sharing intravenous needles with an infected drug user.

3. Infected mother to unborn child.

4. Unprotected sex with an HIV-infected partner.

So, JLE, enjoy your home entertainment center without worry, OK? And go back and tell that health class instructor he needs a refresher course. (A wealth of information can be found right here on this site in the archives and at the related links pertaining to how HIV is and is not transmitted! Check it out!)

Stay well, Sticky-Fingers Guy.

Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob my life is a mess
Withdrawal Before Ejaculation

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint