Dr. Bob my life is a mess
Nov 28, 2006
Dear Dr Bob here is my problem. About five months ago I had protected vaginal sex with prostitute but I am pretty sure the condom came off. So since then I am a mess especially since my wife is pregnant and could have possibly infected all three of us. I have had what i think is ars. I had extreme fatigue, swollen lymph nodes, hershey squirts, folliculitis which i am on antibiotics for and white dots inside the cheeks of my mouth all over. I had an negative about three month test. I took another test last week which is the five month elisa. My questions are 1 does this sound like hiv symptoms 2 are there other tests i should take besides the elisa 3 do i need more testing if five month is negative 4 should i see a specialist or is primary doctor ok. He was fine at first now he gets mad at me for wanting to get tested I tested at 1 month 2 month 3 month and now 5 month still don't know result for 5 I would really appreciate a response and I swear I will send donation once you have responded please any info would be gratefull my life sucks right now and I am making myself and everyone around me miserable please help
Response from Dr. Frascino
I'll respond to your specific questions first.
1. Symptoms, no matter what they are, do not equal HIV disease. A negative HIV test trumps any and all symptoms each and every time!
2. No. The ELISA (followed by a Western Blot if positive) is still the best HIV screening test. No other testing is warranted or recommended.
3. Tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive. Your negative three-month (and presumably five-month) test is definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.
4. Since you do not have HIV, a primary care physician is all you need to confirm your negative HIV status.
I cannot diagnose the exact cause of symptoms over the Internet, but I can tell you what's not causing them: it's not HIV! Your HIV fears are unwarranted. Your current problems may well be stress, anxiety and guilt related.
My advice is that you confront your fears and guilt by leveling with your wife. It's not only the best way to confront your demons, but it's also the right thing to do. Follow up with your general medical doctor regarding persistent or bothersome symptoms (diarrhea, folliculitis, etc.). Consider getting counseling if you continue to perseverate on HIV, despite overwhelming evidence that you are HIV negative.
Thanks for your donation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated and will help others who were not so lucky in dodging the HIV bullet.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Swollen Lymph Nodes After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- After Gonorrhea Treatment If Masturbated Does The Medicine Still Work
- Can A Virgin Get Genital Warts?
- Can You Get Std If You And Your Partner Are Virgin And Have Oral Sex?
- Signs And Symptoms Of Being Sick
- CAN ARS START AT 11 WEEKS?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.